LumberJocks

set pieces

  • Advertise with us
Project by mIps posted 415 days ago 544 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

In a blog post I mentioned that I’d been asked to build some set pieces for my local community theater and here are some pics.

Pic 1 is a compass rose made from 1/2” ply and jut out with a jigsaw. The base is made from 1/2” as well, braced with some pieces of 2×3 and used roughly 6” of 1×4 as feet. Behind the center of the rose and the rim is a small piece of 1/4” ply as sort of a giant washer. Figuring out the spacing for all those teeth was a pain.


Pic 2 is the mast of a ship! The upright is a 4×4 and the cross members are 2×4 set into grooves made with a circular saw. I made about 8 separate cuts and then chipped it all out with a small wonderbar. The base was made from 3/4” MDF. To help brace the upright and keep if from falling over, I cut a 2×4 into triangles and then glued and screwed those to the MDF base and into the 4×4 upright. I will also tell you that the sails DO raise and lower. :D

Pic 3 is a giant 4×8 sled. the frame is 2×4 and covered with more 1/2” ply. The runners are 1” chipboard that the theater had hanging around.

Pic 4 is of some 2 sided flats that we build and put on casters so that they could be rolled on and off stage. Normally flats only are finished on one side and don’t have casters. The frame of the flats is 2×4 with 1 internal vertical brace, the faces are 1/8” luan (SP?).

Pic 5 is a ship railing. The top and bottom are 2×4, the end pieces are 1×6 and the center slats are 1×2. Overall length is 10’ and is held together with LOTS of screws. There are 2 of these. I’m a little worried about the top and bottom twisting as the wood dries, but there’s only so much I can do.

Pic 6 is of the stage with our painted-map background, the compass rose and a smokestack made from 2 concrete forms glued and taped together. I made a base for the stack from 3/4” mdf, cut a roughly 7 1/2” circle from the same material and gave it a bevel of about 30 degrees. We then glued and screwed the circle to the base, then wedged the stack onto the circle, then glued and screwed it in place.

Not pictured is a schedule board with slats for train times. It was pieced together from 4 different pieces of hardboard, braced with 4” strips of 1/2 ply that I cut to size, glued and screwed.

Things I am happy about: I built 90% myself with basic tools. I was able to use the tools that the theater had for most of it. I was creative in using tools in different ways to do jobs that would have otherwise needed tools the theater nor I had. Overall, the pieces look really good.

Things I am unhappy about: It took two tries to get the railings so that the didn’t feel like they were going to fall apart. When I painted the train slats, they bowed and so we had to add and face to the ledges to keep the slats on.
Overall, I’m happy and learned a few things. Should be a great play!

-- Be honest, honorable, kind, work hard, and generally be awesome.





1 comment so far

View SPHinTampa's profile

SPHinTampa

548 posts in 2284 days


#1 posted 411 days ago

Great job on the compass … looks good.

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase