LumberJocks

Dining table

  • Advertise with us
Project by lateralus819 posted 06-05-2013 01:16 AM 818 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Well proud to say i’m finally done with this thing and am able to (almost) use it. It’s been about 2 months in the making. Probably realistically, time wise, took about 2-3 weeks if i didn’t have setbacks. I started off originally with a 3/4” top which i tried gluing in 2 sections then gluing together to form a big panel, needless to say it didn’t pan out and that’s waiting to be turned into something. 2 weeks of acclimating wasted, not to mention other time. I didn’t give up and got some more material this time 8/4 sapele.

This really tested both my patience and my skill. Previous to this the only item’s I’ve really built were boxes and such. Did a lot of practicing, researching, YouTube etc. I think it came out okay.

Mortise and tenons for the legs also pinned with dowels.

Woods used were sapele for the top, maple for the breadboard ends and aprons, and genuine mahogany for the legs. Cool info about the maple- My supplier, has TONS of various hardwoods, you name it they have it, except for figured maple, they don’t have much, whatever they have is either rough cut (which isn’t good for me as i don’t have a jointer) or not very good quality. So every time i go in since I’m such a nut for flamed maple, i dig through every piece of the “hard maple” rack and ALWAYS find a killer piece that for some reason ends up there instead of the figured maple pile. I can usually spot the figuring on the side of the stack ;). That’s how i happened on the aprons and also the breadboards ends. I dug for at LEAST 2 hours through a 4×4” bin of 16’ 8/4 maple to find that piece and it WAS worth it.

The table is 48”x43”x38”. Was originally going to be over 50” long but do to a mess-up on one of my breadboard ends i had to cut a few inches off and start over. LOTS of hand planing the top, probably 3 hours just in that alone.

One application of trans tint vintage maple then sanded back then re-applied on the maple, 2 coats danish oil on the whole table, 2 coats of satin poly on the whole table. I had to sand the top down a few days ago because i accidentally sanded through the oil :x.

Overall, I’m probably about 75% happy with it, first time building a piece like this. I knew there would be error and mistakes. There is a gap at the BB ends which bugs me but I’ll live with it.

One more thing, i had a small offcut from the op 12”x12” that i wasn’t too sure what to make of it. turned into a napkin holder

Long read and i apologize, but i do hope you enjoy. I can’t take all the credit though, my 4 year old son helped a bit cleaning up and planing!

-- Never confuse mistakes with failure. Kevin





4 comments so far

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

14978 posts in 1856 days


#1 posted 06-05-2013 07:57 AM

Great looking table. I see the future Norm in one of the pics. How fun. Well done…

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

1983 posts in 944 days


#2 posted 06-05-2013 10:21 AM

all the time and aggravation paid off….looks really good !

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View garbonsai's profile

garbonsai

135 posts in 622 days


#3 posted 06-05-2013 07:49 PM

Nice work! I really like the wood choices.

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

View Fishinbo's profile

Fishinbo

11252 posts in 843 days


#4 posted 06-07-2013 03:45 PM

Great work on those beautiful projects! Great wood combo and joinery on the table, great use of scraps on the holder and very nice little helper in the shop.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase