|Project by Sanding2day||posted 278 days ago||644 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
Been looking for projects to utilize some of the remaining walnut, cherry, and maple from cutting board project and decided on making these coasters. The remaining material was cut into 1/8” thick sections, glued into a square large enough for coaster size, cut using the scroll saw, and then coated with pour epoxy.
I have not yet determined the best way to do this, I had made a nice setup last picture but was very wrong about the ease in which painters tape would be removed from the epoxy costing several hours of sanding and making the bottoms less than desirable with the resulting haze. Have later determined this may work using packing tape so maybe try another round at some point. My first attempt with just wood required cutting it fully out and my sample piece, while I like it a great deal as it was made for my large mug still has a plywood base :) Might be cool to do it this way with a contrasting hardwood.
This is to be a gift for my mother’s birthday so I made the case predominately from walnut with the same band of walnut, maple, and cherry, a bubinga bottom, maple stripes in the lid as well as more of the left overs with zebra wood veneer cut in the shape of Mom with a heart for the o which I had seen on a project on here around mother’s day… Couldn’t find the posting but mad props and thanks to a great idea… Had a good time making this and confident mother will like it…
Sanded with orbital to 220 and by hand up to 2000 grit… First time going above 320 and was highly impressed with the smoothness at completion! Makes it hard to set down… Thanks for looking…