|Project by CharlieM1958||posted 06-02-2013 07:15 PM||1319 views||0 times favorited||19 comments|
Some of you who have been around here a long time might remember reading about this project, which I appropriately named “Maple Table from Hell”. It was actually my first table ever, and I certainly had my share of trials and tribulations with it.
Lo and behold, some six years later, my wife decides she wants a pair of end tables that match the original. Because the original design was so basic, it was kind of hard to resist the temptation to “fancy” these up. But SWMBO is the boss, and she wanted them just like the other one, right down to the hidden drawers.
Finishing was almost a problem. The original table was finished with Danish oil and wipe-on poly. The Danish oil was a concoction of several shades mixed together to match our existing kitchen and den cabinetry. I had a little bit of the original mixture left in a can, but I was afraid it wasn’t going to be enough, so I made a number of unsuccessful attempts to mix up another batch. (No, I apparently had not written down the formula anywhere). Eventually I gave up and just hoped like heck I had enough finish left for both tables. For once, luck was on my side.
This was by no means my most exciting or creative woodworking project. But it’s a rare occasion when my wife actually has a woodworking request… she usually just thinks I’m out in the shop wasting time and money. :-) In the end, she was happy, and that made me happy.
-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"