|Project by james3one||posted 06-02-2013 03:13 PM||2555 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
This was an adaptation of a cornice that was used in a slightly different situation. So, I changed the way the arch was made. This is going between columns so the visual reference has to match the straight sides. Usually the arches in the piece would have a progressively larger radius, but that wouldn’t look right with straight,vertical sides. Each layer had to be the same radius. hence the jig(see my other project).
My first thought for the crown moulding on this was to use an extruded moulding but I quickly realized that it wouldn’t bend in that direction. So this had to be custom. I don’t have a large router or a shaper, so this had to be done in layers. I ran each layer through my planer to get the desired width(went back and made the first layer even more narrow for a better visual). Left the lowest one square, rounded off the middle with a round-over bit on my router table, and put a large chamfer on the top layer. Took me a while to figure out the best way to do this but ended up with the following procedure: Marked the top and bottom of the chamfer, Set my 45 degree chamfer bit to cut to my bottom line(see last pic), then I used a spoke shave to take out the material in between the two lines. I just got close with the shave and used a couple of cabinet rasps, shinto rasp and file to get to the line. A little sanding and done. Set each layer to the face of the cornice with a brad nailer.
I pre-drilled a number of holes in the top and sides with a Kreg jig to give the installer plenty of options, hopefully making the install easier.
This was shipped off to the painter for a faux finish. Each one of these will hold a pair of drapes.
I must say, that after this experience, I’ve come to the conclusion that its time to invest into a couple of Auriou Rasps.
-- James, Tulsa OK,