|Project by SawdustTX||posted 05-31-2013 07:13 PM||1115 views||3 times favorited||6 comments|
I made these chairs in 1987, first a prototype out of poplar, then the set of four out of hard maple. The finish is a couple coats of sealer followed by black Imron two part epoxy paint used on aircraft. It still has that great “wet look” over 25 years later.
I had very limited tools at the time. There are no fasteners used. All joinery is hand cut mortise and tenons glued with urea formaldehyde resin. The back curves are 8 layer bent laminations. I did all the sanding of the curves on a Craftsman belt sander mounted upside down on my bench. Thickness sanding was done with a sanding belt mounted on a homemade bandsaw a friend loaned me. This was a fun project, and the chairs are still in use today, except the poplar prototype did have a leg fail.
My very patient wife is still waiting (25 years later) for the second set of four chairs to complete the dining set….