|Project by emetric||posted 05-29-2013 05:25 PM||4490 views||10 times favorited||26 comments|
So, I was asked to make a changing table for my nephew, who was expecting a child. After talking to my wife, we decided to refinish the changing table/dresser that we had purchased years ago and that I would build a new dresser for my own midget (that’s what we call our youngest child). As always budgetary concerns rank pretty high on the project requirements list so I was walking through the depot for a different project, I noticed the cull lumber cart had several 4 foot 2×6 pieces for $0.51 and since all of the other furniture in the kid’s room was made of pine anyway, I thought what the heck.
I bought about $12 worth and set about straightening and squaring up the stock for use. This is no picnic as these were some of the most deformed boards I have ever encountered. Looking at this from the “half full perspective”, I got A LOT of practice straightening and squaring willy lumber. In addition to this practice, I also experienced a few firsts.
This was the first time that I have ever successfully incorporated machine cut dovetails into a project. Funny thing is several years ago I bought a wood river branded dovetail jig that I was never able to produce anything useful with. I gave that one away and bought the porter cable 4210 which I let sit in the box for a couple years until a buddy asked if he could use it. So I let him use it and he set it all up and kept telling me that it was super easy! So finally after all these years I used it on this project…. it is super easy!
This is also the first time that I have made drawers from solid wood (instead of plywood). I think this is my preferred method from this point on. The edges are much easier to work than the plywood. This is also the first time that I have successfully re-sawed on my band saw. I had read about it a lot and I knew that most likely it was the blade hindering me but I finally changed it to a 1/2” Timberwolf and man what a difference. I typically re-sawed on the table saw but it wastes so much material, the band saw is far more efficient.
I did get to use my festool domino on this project as well. I was a little disappointed at first with this machine because I figured that after paying the premium that you pay for the “green kool-aid” everything should work flawlessly the very first time. But like everything else it takes a little getting used to. It is a terrific time saver and very accurate (not a review …. just saying).
I stained the cabinet with a minwax classic oak stain even though I knew there would be blotching, but I like the outcome anyway. I sprayed the carcass and drawer fronts with high solids lacquer. I left the drawer boxes raw to prevent the inside of the dresser passing an odor to the clothing.
Overall I am very pleased with the project. The wife is extremely satisfied and one more item is off my honey-do list. Please leave any comments good or bad and as always enjoy.
-- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Master Oogway