|Project by 7Footer||posted 05-28-2013 05:39 PM||1528 views||3 times favorited||16 comments|
A co-worker really liked the first mallet I made so he gave me a pair of speakers in exchange for a mallet of his own. As anything goes, its always better as you make more, so now I’m jealous! Although I think the handle on my first one was better looking, the craftsmanship on this one is superior. I wasn’t really planning on making it 40 oz. it just turned out that way. I routed out the inside of the head a little so it would hold more lead and its also a true dead-blow now.
Its cherry & maple in the head, and an oak shaft. 4 coats of danish & 4 coats of semi-gloss spray lacquer, and steel-wooled to dull the shine.
I bought this bottle of slinky maker for fishing at a local Bi-Mart and then after researching the company a little bit I found out they are local and after calling they said they would sell me the same bottle for $5 cheaper than Bi-Mart sells it, but its still enough to make a few mallets, that bottle is only about the size of my fist and it it weighs 4 lbs.
I am also experimenting with labeling my projects from a video I watched by John Heisz, so I put my co-workers initials in the bottom. I didn’t think about it at first but it makes sense, transferring the print onto end-grain is a bit more difficult than on regular grain, but I had to warm up the wood and the paper a bit to assist the transfer. I’m making something for my Dad for Father’s Day that hopefully turns out really nice with transferring prints onto the wood so it was some much needed practice.
Thanks for looking!
-- I'm so official all I need is a whistle --