|Project by CharlieM1958||posted 05-27-2013 05:59 PM||1668 views||7 times favorited||28 comments|
I guess I’m finally getting the hang of this style box, since I was able to turn this one out from start to finish in 3-4 hours labor between Saturday and Sunday.
The primary wood is spalted beech, and the trim is bubinga. I didn’t originally intend to bevel the very bottom of the box, but I had some tearout on the final trimming of the bubinga bottom, and the bevel seemed like the best way to deal with it. The finish is BLO, buffed out on my three-wheel system.
Now for the confession: In some sort of weird brain malfunction that I still do not comprehend, I cut and glued up the four sides of the box, only to realize that something didn’t look quite right when I took off the clamps. I got out my combo square and my scale, and sure enough I had somehow managed to cut one of the short sides of the box about 1/8” longer than the other. Considering the short sides are only 4.5 inches, that’s fairly significant. I debated taking it apart and starting over, but then I figured since the beech was fairly soft, I’d take a shot at sanding the box into square.
Squaring up the box on the belt sander turned out to be pretty easy. Of course that still leaves the inside of the box out of square, but it’s really not noticeable. And I’m calling it a design feature because it assures the lid can only be put on the correct way. Turn it 180 degrees and the keeper is not going to fit into the box.
-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"