|Project by robscastle||posted 05-22-2013 09:29 AM||1534 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
Hello Fellow LJs
All of April saw me away from the workshop visiting Sydney the Gran children, and of course their parents.
I was busy with electrical work as opposed to woodwork, but needed the funds.
Any way while I was there my eldest son asked me to make a cover for their stove top, he needed more bench space and the glass stove top was getting scratched from using it to prepare food so he wanted to cover it and make better use of the bench space.
I wont bore you all with the actual dimensions but its made to cover the glasstop and sit above it.
I had the choice of some Tassie Blackwood or Tassie Myrtle, I did a couple of samples photographed them and sent to my son.
He wasnt too fussed as to the material so I decided to use the myrtle.
I milled up a length of rough sawn myrtle 2.2m x 195mm x 25mm and cut three sections for the top, jointed the edges and then used 5 x biscuits per section to assist in the strength of the edge glueing.
In picture No 3 the chalk markings “B” show the location of the five No 20 biscuits.
From a second length of stock I cut enough for the edge trim, (See photo No4) then jointed an thicknessed these.
I then used my shaper to produce a recess for the insert and then used a rounding over and a cove bit for the top and side edges.
Cut the 45 deg miters in the edge trim with the drop saw and then dry fitted everything up to check the fit’
All was OK so with a generous application of titebond III I assembled everything and added a ratchet band and left everything to dry.
The insert I sanded 120/180/220/340 and finished with wet & dry 400 this was done prior to final assembly, and after the dry fitup.
The trim I also sanded as above only this time as an assembled unit
I cleaned all the glue residue off initally with a wet rag, then once dry used a cabinet scraper on the edges to remove any traces.
One final sand with the 400 grit saw the finish in photo No2.
There is a test piece visible in photo No2, this was used to set the final profiles you see in Picture 1.
The test peice was used in every step in producing the edge trim and finally cut in half at 45 degrees to ensure I didnt waste any material.
Time, tools and Materials
Time It took me about 3 hours to produce not including the overnight glue ups.
The tools I used were:
1/2 sheet sander
3 x sash clamps
Cork sanding block
Shaper rebate cutter
25mm Core box bit
Hand cabinet scraper
Various grades of sandpaper
A couple of steel rules 1×500mm abd 1×1m
2 x length of 2.2m x 25mm x 195mm rough sawn Tasmanian myrtle.
One completly used, the second I cut the edge strips from.
Once I had everything finished I sent a photo to my son and requested advice on finishing method.
Well the reply I got back was Just send it the way it is we are going to paint it !!
Oh well their choice, its for their home !!
-- Regards Robert