|Project by Mainiac Matt||posted 298 days ago||1129 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
I rearranged the shop and decided to upgrade my SCMS DC hood (from my old trash can solution).
Design objectives were:
1. Easily removable, so the saw is still portable. Two 1/4-20 wing carriage bolts with wing nusts detach hood.
2. Light weight, so as to not make the fold up stand tippy.
3. Cheap. Base is from scrap 1/2” CDX and corrugated fiberboard I purchase at work for a discount.
4. Quick. I cheat and use the CNC router and CNC box sample machine at work after hours.
5. Allows full range of miter and bevel and slide motion.
6. Captures 95% dust or better.
I made one on Monday, but had botched my notes and it was a foot too long, so had to re-do on Tuesday.
Hood folds up with glue tabs bonded with PVA hot melt adhesive, and then reinforced with a couple stitches. Then I went over the finished joints with fiber reinforced kraft box tape. Hood attaches to base with hot melt, reinforced with a couple screws and stitches. 4” flex hose connects via. plastic flange fitting with is screwed into the base.
The volume of the air flow is great enough that I can see the chips alter their trajectory and arc towards the hole in mid flight. Shop vac line to saw shroud provide greater suction to ensure the small line to the saw shroud can remove what is captured there.
Not a solution for everyone, but an quick and easy build with the resources I have available to me.
-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!