|Project by supersOAKer||posted 05-15-2013 09:43 AM||1036 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
My in-laws had a very large water oak die in their yard about 3 years ago. Shamefully, they cut the remains down and threw it into a burn pile. I salvages a large piece, from which I quarter-sawed the lumber and made 4 projects. This is the fourth, The others will be posted soon. My wife has a thing for pigs, so this was for her. Since this was one of my first projects, and I didn’t have any power tools, I cut the pieces with my coping saw and sanded them down by hand to make a straight piece of wood. I cut out the back, then the ears and the nose. For the nostrils, I drilled a hole with a borrowed drill, then slid the coping saw blade threw the hole and finished shaping it. The nose and ears were just lined up and glued with a bargain wood glue. My wife actually glimpsed the back piece of wood after it had been shaped, but before it was glued to anything. She said it looked like a butt, so after she left, I sawed a butt-crack into the wood, which you can see in one of the pics. I painted the whole thing with black and pink acrylic paint (I may have thrown a coat of polyurethane under the acrylic to add some toughness, but I don’t remember). My wife loved it.
-- John, SC