LumberJocks

Cherry and Maple Picture Frame

  • Advertise with us
Project by sjbSAE posted 05-12-2013 08:14 AM 993 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

First time poster, long time forum stalker. This is the first thing that I’ve put together that I felt was worth sharing. My wife and I are expecting our first child in early September. I put this frame together as a Mother’s Day gift to house ultrasound pictures and future baby pictures. It’s an 8×10, maybe I’ll mat it down to a 5×7 later. The guts of the frame (glass, backing etc) will be taken out of an old store bought frame…this was a last minute idea and I didn’t have time to by much for supplies. The cherry is some left over stock from the crib that I am “attempting” to build. I’ll remove the attempting when I have something that looks more like a baby cage than a pile of sticks. The maple inlay is from some left over stock from my Woodgears tilting router lift build. I bought the maple from Lowe’s or Home Depot (I don’t remember) and it actually had some really nice bird’s-eye grain to it. I cut ~1/8” veneer off one of the boards using my fancy new Grr-Ripper and DIY table saw fence inspired by Hutch. Miters were all cut using a ghetto picture frame sled that I build out of a piece of particle board shelving and some more scrap cherry – you can see the sled in the glue up picture. Note to anyone doing this – figure out how you are going to clamp it up before you apply glue…I’m a hack. Moldings/inlay grooves were all cut on my router table. I had a couple of screw ups. One big – the others not so big. You can see a diagonal line along one of the longer sides. I cut 3 short sides on accident and had to glue it back up so that I wouldn’t have to convert to a 5×7 frame. I guess I missed the “measure twice, cut once” class. It doesn’t look terrible, lesson learned I guess. One of the corners is a little rounded over due to some overzealous sanding. There is also a little bit of tear out on the rabbet that accepts the glass. It isn’t finished yet, the way you see it in the picture is just wiped w/ some mineral spirits to get the dust of and to see what the grain looks like. Please feel free to comment w/ any suggestions for next time – I’m still new to this. Thanks for looking.

-Scott





3 comments so far

View freddyaudiophile's profile

freddyaudiophile

58 posts in 803 days


#1 posted 05-12-2013 09:46 AM

Really nice looking frame… I have been planning to try a few of these for a while now.

If you don’t have any parallel bar clamps, you could easily put together some 90 corner supports using some scrap 1/2” plywood to help with clamping. I was at Lowe’s a few months back and picked up a Bessey band clamp, so I suspect I will be using that when the time comes to glue the sides up on the jewelry box I am working on for my little girl. I don’t have any parallel bar clamps…

This looks really sharp man, so you should be proud of that. I’m a beginner as well… you picked a great spot to post photos and ask for guidance. If you are anything like me (being a recovering perfectionist), you get version one done and then immediately start on version 2, as you learned a few valuable lessons from version one… :)

What are your thoughts on finishing it?

And, congrats on the new forthcoming little person!!!

-- freddyaudiophile, Fredericton, NB, Canada

View sjbSAE's profile

sjbSAE

3 posts in 1180 days


#2 posted 05-13-2013 12:58 AM

Thanks for the comments. I actually do have a couple of Bessey parallel clamps, but they are 50” monsters. They seemed a bit overkill. I think a clamping jig is in my near future. Version 2 and 3 will be frames for the grandma’s to be as a belated Mother’s Day gift.

As of right now it has two coats of homemade Danish oil on it. Looks about the same as in the picture I posted. I’ll probably do another coat and maybe finish it off with some paste wax. I’ll put up another picture when I’m finished finishing.

View dnick's profile

dnick

952 posts in 1135 days


#3 posted 05-14-2013 03:18 AM

Nice frame. After trying every clamping technique possible, I get the best results clamping one corner at a time, using simple hand pressure. Screwed a scrap with square corners to a base & apply hand pressure against the square & down tight to the base for a few minutes. Usually put light clamp on each side to keep it flat against the base for about 30 minutes.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase