LumberJocks

EMS themed cribbage board

  • Advertise with us
Project by Norris posted 05-11-2013 05:17 PM 1212 views 3 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I made this cribbage board for my sister after she passed her EMT certification earlier this year. The style was inspired by the work that Trifern does with Maple and aniline dyes. I also leaned heavily on the finish testing that Ed documented in this thread . Thanks for all of your hard work, gentlemen.

The board is curly maple with an inlayed border of aspen. The detail in the center of the board is chip-carved and filed with natural wood filler to accent the dye. I got the custom pegs from a shop on Ebay.

I began with the maple board, removed material to make room for the inlay and completed the chip carving before sanding and applying the dyes. I used Indigo and Bright Blue shades of water based aniline dye. Next I roughed up the channels and glued the inlay. I used a block plane to get everything flush again. There were a few areas where the plane dug into the dye, but I was able to blend these back in by lightly sanding and hitting them with another coat of Bright Blue. Next came a few seal coats of wipe-on poly and, applying the wood filler to the chip carved area. The final finish is three coats of wipe-on poly, each buffed with fine steel wool. It’s hard to show in still photos, but the grain really pops and dances with the finish.

This was another project full of ‘firsts’. This was my first time working with maple and aniline dye. After my initial anxiety, I found it to be a rather forgiving method of finishing, if somewhat more time intensive. I hadn’t done much with inlay before this. The original project concept was for the center detail to be inlay as well, but after my experience with the borders, I opted to fill the chip carving (another first) to save time and prevent any more damage to the surface.

All in all, another good learning project with just enough flaws to make me try harder next time. I had hoped the center detail would have turned out better. The filler was water based. The multiple seal coasts were to stop it from reactivating the dye, but there were a few spots that weren’t completely sealed that bled into the filler. Maybe I’ll try tinted epoxy next time, or go back to the inlay idea.

Thanks for looking.





3 comments so far

View deebee71's profile

deebee71

73 posts in 2152 days


#1 posted 05-11-2013 05:32 PM

Beautiful, love the dye job.

-- Don, northern Maine

View prez's profile

prez

375 posts in 2873 days


#2 posted 05-13-2013 11:58 AM

Outstanding !!! Job well done!

-- George..." I love the smell of a workshop in the morning!"

View snowgoer's profile

snowgoer

103 posts in 2129 days


#3 posted 05-13-2013 06:05 PM

WELL DONE ! Don’t beat yourself up over the “little nicks and dents” I’ll bet your sister really liked it.Thanks for posting the picture and the explanation.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com