|Project by NaptownWood||posted 05-10-2013 02:30 AM||1318 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
For the wheels, I took pre-packaged toy wheels, and stacked them in the drill press on a drill bit (I don’t have a lathe yet) and turned on the press, and took a propane blowtorch to them. Worked better than I expected, and I will do this from now on when using the pre-made wheels.
The front wheels needed to stick out away from the body, as the front of the car narrows at the end and they needed to stay in alignment with the rears, so I took a walnut dowell, and drilled a hole in the middle. After 3 attempts, it held together. I cut it to size, and used a small forstner bit to counter sink them into the car body. Glued them up and sanded to final angle and spacing.
For the axles, I was worried about choking hazard as I had a wheel from the big rig pop off one day as the boy was banging it on the floor like a madman. So, I took the axle pins and cut a hatch pattern on the end of them, and then once the axle holes are drilled through the car, I drilled one more tiny hole from the bottom up into the axle cavity. Once you do this, you can fill the axle hole 100% full of glue, and start your assembly, as you tap the axles into final position, the glue spits out the relief hole, leaving what I assume is a solid cavity either filled with wood or glue, and hopefully the hatch patterns coming together in the middle filled with glue will make a pretty strong joint and make it little boy proof.
I crudely wood burnt the grill and hood ornament (this is hard for me, but I’m getting some practice)
In the front on pic you can see the clear plastic bushings i placed between the wheel and the spacers on the front and body on the rear. Cut them out from the baby food container he had for dinner. This helps the friction on the rolling, and this one rolls the best of all so far. Goes in a straight line all across the living room wood floors.
finished with 3 coats of danish oil and 3 coats of spray on poly, with 0000 steel wool in between all but the last one. finished the wheels and the body separate, then assembled. will do this from now on as it is much easier to get all the crevices.
-- Witty signature line still pending