|Project by NiteWalker||posted 05-07-2013 03:32 PM||3670 views||12 times favorited||3 comments|
After using a platform of MDF for a while for my kreg K3 jig (I’m glad I got one before they discontinued it for the rear clamping K4), it was getting pretty beat up, and the screws holding the kreg jig in place were starting to loosen and strip out from being banged around the shop. So I had a free afternoon in the shop and I decided to upgrade it.
It’s made entirely out of baltic birch plywood. 3/4” for the base, 2 pieces of 3/4” laminated then trimmed to thickness for the material support platforms. I also took the time to add some storage holes for the drill bit, hex wrench and two driver bits. It’s nice to have everything on hand in the same spot when I use the jig for a quick project. It’s not too big either; 15” long x 9 1/4” wide. Small enough to be easily stored and transported but big enough to handle pretty big work pieces.
The 1 1/2” wide material supports are just screwed on, but the big change is the kreg jig mounting; I used #8 machine screws with the bottom of the platform counterbored for the hex nut and washers. Probably overkill, but now I know for sure the jig will never loosen unless I intend it to.
I drilled a 1/2” hole for hanging, used my corner radius jig to knock the corners off and gave the edges a light sanding and it’s ready for work.
-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.