|Project by rwingnut||posted 05-06-2013 08:19 PM||1129 views||3 times favorited||1 comment|
Here is a murphy bed that I’ve completed for our spare bedroom. I used the create a bed hardware kit for a queen that pivots on the long edge. I changed the plans slightly, using 3 legs instead of 2, and the create-a-bed company sent me the third hinge, no charge. I took inspiration from TedM’s Armoire Style Murphy Wall Bed project by placing legs within decortive molding. It’s made from birch and is finished with dyes and stain.
I owe this community a debt of gratitude for the excellent advice and discussions. The discussions on re-sawing lumber on a table saw were excellent and allowed me to resaw the birch lumber safely to make the molding. The web videos by the Wood Whisperer gave me the confidence to try dyes and really opened up my available color palet. The discussions on the use of shellac to both “fix” the dye and prevent the blotchyness when staining burch proved helpful. Thank you all.