|Project by luv2learn||posted 05-04-2013 05:44 PM||2356 views||2 times favorited||17 comments|
Believe it or not, this bowl was a mistake. What I mean is, that it is critical to get the angle of the Ringmaster set just right for the ring segments to align properly. What happened here is that I set the angle too sharply thus the misaligned rings. I figured I would just turn this screw up into an experiment. Fortunately, I was cutting 3/8” thick segments thus allowing me to turn the inside of the bowl true.
What happened next was also just an idea. Usually the first cut from the blank is just scrap but as I looked into the trash I thought, I wonder how the hexagon piece of scrap would look glued to the top of the bowl. Since at this point I was just experimenting I figured, go for it!! After the glue dried, I took the bowl to the sander and sanded the hexagon sides down to where they met the bowl diameter. I then mounted the bowl back on the lathe and sanded the edges until the scallops appeared.
The result of this mistake is a pretty unique looking bowl. It was however a lot of work. My wife likes it so I guess all is good.
The bowl is made from English Walnut. I finished it with three coats of “General Finishes” Salad Bowl Finish.
P.S. I did correct the angle on the next several bowls, but I liked the hexagon top so much I incorporated it as a design feature
I made a total of ten bowls out of English Walnut
Thanks for looking!!
-- Lee - Northern idaho~"If the women don't find you handsome, at least they ought to find you handy"~ Red Green