|Project by tyvekboy||posted 05-02-2013 07:07 PM||4347 views||23 times favorited||15 comments|
May 2, 2013
I had the good fortune to stumble across the cyclone end of an old commercial Delta Dust Collection system. The motor had died and it was headed for the scrap pile. I managed to get the cyclone portion of the system which was a heavier gauge of metal and more compact than the one I had. This is what i did with it.
The cyclone was approximately the same size as the one that I posted earlier. Here is a comparison photo of the two systems. That meant that I could reuse the cyclone holder that I had previously built.
I had to recut the cone supports to fit the new cyclone but other than that, the cyclone holder remained unchanged.
The only thing that I had to do is create adapters for the three openings: INPUT, OUTPUT, and DUST RECEPTACLE.
The input transition consisted of cutting and gluing THREE 3/4 inch plywood rings that fit the input pipe. The transition to the 4 inch size consisted of TWO smaller 3/4 inch plywood rings glued to the bigger plug. In the middle of the smaller ring I inserted a 4 inch plastic hose splice to which I attached a 90 degree Dust Right elbow to which I attached my flexible hose. The transition piece was secured with 4 pan head sheet metal screws and silicone caulk was applied to the inside to eliminate any air leaks.
This cyclone consists of two parts: the outer shell and an inner core. The inner core consists of a circular piece of metal with a hole in the center to which a long tube is welded that extends down into the cyclone. A directional vane welded to the outside of this tube. The impeller and motor of the original DC system was then mounded on top of this cyclone and bolted down with the 8 bolts seen here.
For my transition, I made a cover out of 3/4 inch plywood with holes that matched the bolt pattern. To the hole in the center of this plywood cover I glued a THREE 3/4 inch circles that fit snugly into the ducting seen in the picture.
Caulking was applied to the rim of the outer cyclone shell and also to the top rim of the inner cyclone core. I let the caulking cure for 24 hours before assembling this part of the setup.
TRASH CAN TRANSITION:
The transition to the 20 gallon trash can was also created with plywood. The cover to the trash can consists of and outer and inner plywood rings with about a 1 inch space between them glued to the top of a bigger plywood disc. This fits nicely over the rim of the trash can. In the 1 inch space between the plywood rings I install some weather stripping foam to seal it.
The transition to the bottom of the cyclone uses a stack of 5 or 6 plywood rings sized to fit snugly into the opening. This stack of rings was then glued to the trash can cover.
This transition was then secured to the bottom of the cyclone with 4 pan head sheet metal screws. Caulk was applied to the inside of the cyclone to make it air tight.
After all the modifications were done, I gave the cyclone a coat of primer and fresh paint.
The new system really sucks!
If you’re as lucky as I was to make a find like this, you can use this idea to improve your dust collection system.
Hope you like this idea. Comments encouraged and welcomed.
Thanks for looking.
-- Tyvekboy -- Marietta, GA ………….. one can never be too organized