|Project by 7Footer||posted 04-29-2013 09:51 PM||1005 views||4 times favorited||4 comments|
Finished my first mallet over the weekend, the head is Cherry & Maple, the handle is Roble (Trumpet Tree). I weighed it and it weighs about 2 lbs. 8 ounces, pretty heavy. I bought a couple of round fishing weights and just beat them down on my anvil to make them fit on the inside. And I was given a bag of leather scraps from a local tack shop so that is nice, I have enough leather scrap to make about 25 mallets!
I used my favorite adhesive on it, PL Glue, the wood will break in half before the glued part separates.
The 6th pic is the first attempt at the handle, for some reason I didnt like it and decided to redo it, it took me 3 tries to get one that I was happy with the tenon and the shape. One thing for sure is I need a better tenon cutting jig!
Finished with 4 coats of Danish oil and a few coats of spray lacquer, I went with the spray lacquer because I am kind of hard on tools and figure it will take a beating with all the use it gets. I did use it a little bit over the weekend too and it works great, can’t wait to make a couple more smaller ones for my collection!
Oh yeah, I’m gonna go ahead and say that I meant for the grain to be reversed on those maple pieces in the head… ;-)
-- If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did." -