|Project by muleskinner||posted 478 days ago||1049 views||2 times favorited||14 comments|
After my previous project I thought I’d try something a little less rustic.
My wife didn’t like the coffee table in the TV room – a heavy, too big slab of butcher block oak. She had no preference of what to replace it with and this cherry was just taking up room in the garage. I just winged it as far as design goes. I wrote down a height and table top dimensions and that was the extent of my plans. From there I just started cutting and gluing. I built the top first and then just put something together to hold it off the floor. I tried to find some of those little offset metal clips to hold the top on but nobody out here in the boonies seemed to know what I was talking about hence the wooden hold downs.
I’m okay with the proportions and structure. The finish on the other hand is bothering me. This is the first time I’ve built a substantial piece with cherry and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I ended up doing natural Danish oil and then a few coat of semi-gloss poly. (I’m pretty unimaginative and lazy when it comes to finish) It turned out blotchy and I’m tempted to take a belt sander to it and try again. But for now I’m just going to grab a beer, hit the couch, put my feet up and watch some baseball.
-- Visualize whirled peas