|Project by Nugs||posted 04-26-2013 12:58 AM||1855 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
A record bin I made from a single sheet of plywood using a plan I found on the internet. I wanted to make it something I could display in my living room so I used maple veneer plywood. I didn’t want any screws or plywood edges to show so I used a plug cutter to make walnut plugs to fill the screwholes. I used iron on walnut edge banding to cover the plywood edges.
I liked the look of the plugs and edges so figured I would try to do an inlay. I picked up some veeneer, tried a practice one on the back then tried the front. I did a piece of walnut burl first, then a piece of birds-eye maple, and then a piece of purpleheart.
While I was at the woodshop, I picked up some wood for a drawer, tried half-blind dovetails for the first time with some birch and a south american exotic wood. The guy didn’t know what the wood was called, but it was incredibly hard. I tried staple the bottom on, but the staples just crumpled and wouldn’t penetrate the wood, this was from a hand power staple gun. I predrilled nail holes and glued the ply on, hopefully it will have enough strength. Another piece of walnut went on the drawer front with a cherry handle I carved.
I finished it with 3 coats of tung oil and a scrap piece of red velvet.