|Project by lumberjoe||posted 04-25-2013 01:17 PM||2309 views||3 times favorited||11 comments|
Thanks to Paul (Shipwright), I recently became interested in hammer veneering (traditional; using a veneer hammer and hot hide glue) and wanted to practice. This project may have been a bit ambitious, but aside from a few flaws, I am pleased with the results. It is 1/2” MDF, bubinga and walnut veneer. The finish is danish oil, Arm-R-Seal and briwax.
I started off with some 1/2” MDF, some commercial bubinga veneer and some walnut veneer I resawed on my bandsaw
I was surprised at how thin you can resaw on a bandsaw. I got this piece of walnut to about 1/32”
There is no fancy joinery. I veneered the inside of the box, then just butt jointed it together with hot hide glue. I pre-finished the inside then taped off the areas that got glue:
I then glued the bottom and the lid on. Again, no rabbets or anything fancy, just some hot hide glue rub joints (no clamps). After that I veneered the entire outside
Chopped the lid off on the table saw:
Then veneered the inside edges and finished it.
Things I leaned:
I sanded through the veneer in spots. My ROS even with 220 grit is a little agressive. I will be hand sanding next time
I am going to use different hinges next time. MDF is a pain to screw into and these hinges shifted despite having holes pre drilled.
Veneering the entire outside was a little ambitious. Next time I am going to veneer the MDF before I cut it and then miter the box