|Project by wbrisett||posted 04-24-2013 10:14 AM||1827 views||1 time favorited||8 comments|
Through craigslist I was able to find a deal on some leftover mesquite that a sawer had placed on craigslist. I drove the 100 miles and picked up a load of mesquite. I had one project in mind for the mesquite (and still do!). But going back a few months before this, I picked up some tongue and grove rough cedar and built two very large planters (3ft x 2.5ft), that we put at the edge of our yard. I had a couple of neighbors stop and ask where we got them. My wife mentioned that I made them, and nothing more came of it until one of them asked if I would make her one. I told her I would. I was trying to figure out how to get rid of the remaining t&g cedar and this was my opportunity. I just gave it to her since it was made out of my scraps. But then she asked me about making more for her yard and her mom. Since I didn’t have any rough cedar left, I told her I would see what I could do. A quick call the guy who had sold me the mesquite proved fruitful. He had some leftover stuff that he said he would sell me fairly cheap.
I picked up a load of it and started making a flower box out of mesquite. Unfortunately, what I thought could turn into a side business, turned out to simply take way too much time. Since the t&g cedar was ready to go, I could turn out a box in a couple of hours. But this mesquite had to be worked.
But it isn’t just the dimensioning of the wood, it’s the details. To get a tongue and groove look without actually putting in a tongue and groove, I used a v-groove router bit and ran the panel edges though the router so it looks similar to what I had with the t&g cedar.
I decided to let the mesquite speak for itself. That is, insect holes (and there are a lot of them. Found a few boring insects (mostly worms) while I was cutting the wood) and knot holes were left for a more rustic character. I debated about how to attach the final external parts. Since I was going for the rustic look, I used wood screws instead of pining the final pieces with a finishing nailer.
I put one decorative flare on the box and called it finished (except for sealing it).
Since it took way too long to build to make any real money out of this project and since Mother’s Day is just around the corner. I have decided to make this a gift for my mom.