|Project by BobWemm||posted 04-23-2013 12:00 PM||705 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
In early August last year some people around the corner from us cut down a Jacaranda Tree. I salvaged a few pieces from the trunk and bigger limbs, but never thought about the root/stump. A few days later I saw the people outside as I was passing so stopped to ask about the Stump. They were quite happy for me to dig out whatever I wanted. Shortly I was there with the shovel and chain saw. I managed to get about 18inches of the main trunk/stump piece from underground.
I rough turned two pieces immediately and packed them away in 2 cardboard boxes with the green shavings all around, then slid the boxes under the caravan in the shed. The idea was to allow them o dry more slowly as the moisture was released from the boxes.
Friday last week I opened the first box and the piece had only warped about 1/8 in and there were no cracks at all.
The piece is finished with Krylon clear varnish, and it has retained some of the green color around the root bases. The grain is very nice and I just love it.
It measures 8.5in x 4.5in.
Thanks for looking, and hope you like it.
-- Bob, Western Australia, The Sun came up this morning, what a great start to the day. Now it's up to me to make it even better.