|Project by lumberjoe||posted 04-18-2013 04:35 PM||1470 views||4 times favorited||22 comments|
This is your standard mitered box with a rabbeted bottom and the lid cut off after assembly. The splines are walnut and there is a walnut stripe on the top. I finished with danish oil, but it left the butternut really flat. After it dried I wiped on 2 coats of Arm-R-Seal. It was buffed with steel wool and waxed.
I have a huge 6/4 piece of butternut laying around. It is riddled with huge knots so I cut a clean slice off of it. I wanted to practice a lot of different things, and really had no hopes of this box coming out well at all.
First was resawing. I recently got a bandsaw and wanted to see if I could resaw a board that would be usable in an actual project. I was able to get a nice, clean 1/2” slice out of it
Next was cutting miters on my table saw. These are far from perfect, but came out halfway decent and much better than anything I have done previously. My sled still needs a few tweaks.
Also, not a single clamp was used in the construction. I have been using Hot Hide Glue for veneer work and some shop stuff, but I wanted to use it in a real project. Let me tell you, it is a pleasure to use. No fumbling around with awkward strap clamps or complicated corner clamps. I rubbed all the pieces together, got it square, than wrapped it once with painters tape so it wouldn’t shift. After sitting overnight, I could not pull it apart without mechanical advantage. Believe me, I tried. Also HHG does not affect finishes. A little hot water to clean up the dried squeeze out from gluing the top on, and I was good to go. Forget about the hours of sanding in tight spots.
The bottom is crappy shop grade 1/4” plywood. I had some bubinga veneer, so I applied it using hot hide glue and a veneer hammer.
The finger pull was done with my spindle sander. Also I used Soss hinges. This is where my fatal flaw was. The lid doesn’t line up perfectly. I was too lazy to make a jig for drilling the holes because I wasn’t even planning on finishing the box. had they lined up better, this would have been really nice
-- Unplugged Woodworkers - https://www.facebook.com/groups/213418935481974/