|Project by crmitchell||posted 245 days ago||766 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
This bathroom vanity was made from a modified antique mahogany dresser made in England around the turn of the last century. The bottom photos show it in the antique shop.
This 8’ long monster took a lot of doing, including modifying the second drawers from the top to accommodate the plumbing while preserving most of the drawer capacity.
Another challenge came when spraying the first of the 3 coats of 1/2 semi-gloss, 1/2 satin lacquer. I got fish-eyes, caused by silicone left from furniture polishes. The cure came from an auto paint shop, who sold me fish-eye eliminator that they use – it turns the entire surface into a giant fish eye. (if you ever need to do this, 1 drop is all it takes)
One commenter asked about removing the finish – I had forgotten what an incredible pain it was. There was the dark varnish, with a red dye underneath, especially on the face frame and non-veneered parts. I did not like the reddish tint it would have left under the lighter stain I used, so it had to go. Took 3 evenings of alcohol-soaked paper towels absorbing the red, but slowly it came out.
Had also forgotten how heavy this thing is; made a dolly with 2×4’s to move it in and out of the garage while using the strippers and alcohol, and then spraying. It took 6 people to move it inside and up the stairs.