|Project by ferstler||posted 04-15-2013 10:02 PM||1090 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
I have been working with reclaimed redwood for some time, and a short while back posted pictures of an end table I made out of that material, plus some cedar, and a slab of granite. Interested parties may look that up under my name. I put this table up for sale, rather than locate it in my already crowded living room.
This time, I made a lamp stand for the back bedroom/AV room that is considerably smaller, about 22 inches tall and a foot or so square. Like the bookcases I also built for that room (also pictured in an earlier projects article on this site), it is mostly redwood, with a double-thick masonite sheet for the back and interior panels of mdf. The style matches that of the four bookcases (which had side panels of solid mdf, with cedar trim along the front edges), along with an audio equipment cabinet I made out of cedar and mdf (a project article was done on that, too). As noted, the small stand’s wood is not entirely redwood, but there is enough of it for it to match both the bookcases and the 9 audio speakers in that room and the two tall, cylinder-style subwoofers. Lots of redwood in that room.
The top is redwood over mdf, as is the bottom, and the side panels are redwood on the outside, with mdf sheets arranged on the inside so as to form grooves for the solid redwood middle shelf to fit into. The pieces were sandwiched together with Elmer’s carpenter glue, and the trim pieces around the top and bottom and front edges of the sides are also held in place with Elmer’s. The top, bottom, and sides are each 1.5-inches thick. Regarding final assembly (done after the individual pieces were first given the stain and clear-coat finishes), the top is held in place by Kreg pocket screws and PL construction adhesive. The bottom is held in place by screws from below, plus PL, and the shelf sits in grooves lined with PL. The masonite back panel is glued in place and held also by multiple small nails. A small base panel is edge painted black and is secured to the bottom panel by screws. This is a VERY rigid little cabinet.
The interior mdf sections were painted with black enamel and the redwood was stained with Minwax red-oak stain, just like the five bookcases I built. Clear coating is Minwax satin polyurethane: two coats brushed on, with two more sprayed on. I used lacquer on the earlier bookcases, but I had the varnish left over and used most of it up on this project. I will stick with lacquer from now on, because it is easier to use than varnish.
This little stand is a chunky item, weighing in at 26 pounds. It has found a nice home in that room. Redwood is a soft material (as is cedar), and so a piece of furniture like this is not going to be happy in a home occupied by rambunctious children. But in a peaceful setting it works just fine.