|Project by Tugboater78||posted 04-11-2013 03:23 AM||1867 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
Last summer i built an 8×10 shed behind the house to get my mowers off my carport, and garden tools out of my basement that was made for midgets i think. This was built with hopes to be able to work out of it, though i doubted I would be able to do much. After the 48” cut rider and the push mower got parked inside, i had no room to do anything, but at least i got some stuff out of the way?
The building was made from materials i had on hand from various remodeling projects, and from dismantling a house last summer. I built it in that last couple hours of daylight left after spending 8-10 hours on the dismantle about every day, little by little. Got it sided just before winter set in, on 3 sides anyway, i knew i would have to either build a leanto on it or add on, so left just the sheathing bare on one.
So i decided i would add a 10×10 section onto this older building as another stopgap till i can afford the time and cash for a real shop. The weather broke last week, and we have had some wonderful weather to work outdoors. so last Friday i started. i didn’t take much in way of pictures as I am flyin solo on this and trying to use all the daylight i can afford.
The base is 5×5 and 2×5 rough oak beams, from the house dismantle, all notched, glued (Wood Liquid Nail) and lagged together. Do i get galoot points for doing all the cutting with handsaws and chiseling clean? I hope so, cause that’s basically all I’m gonna be doing on this project, those beams are hard! The windows are from the old house, and i know there are no headers, other than a half inch to 3/4 inch difference they fit between my 24” oc studs so there will be no weight bearing on them. That’s my reasoning anyway, feel free to inform me if there is another reason for them. The walls are different height due to saving myself the trouble of having 2 different roof lines. the lower wall is set at the height to compensate for the extra 2’ on that side. and keep the same pitch. Seems to be a simpler solution to me. there is a hole in the floor, as i ran out of big enough piece of scrap and refused to buy another sheet, the hole will be under a cabinet workbench so i figure i will just leave it, maybe use it to shove dust in if i can.
No floor insulation, not in the budget, but i will be mortaring highway rock ( local highway always has good rock to build limestone walls from, in the cutouts) under and around the base, and i will mound dirt back up around, hoping to seal the space and maybe that will work. I am sure I may be over or under building some aspects, but at the moment it is rock solid, i climbed up on it today and tried shaking it loose after i put up the last wall section, didn’t budge. All walls built and installed in last 24 hours. The rafters are 75% cut and ready to be put together and installed tomorrow, would have gotten further today but had to take nephew to ball practice. they calling for rain tomorrow, hope the weatherman is wrong i have 5.5 days till my next boat trip and i hope to have these with a roof and sheathed before i go.
the shared wall will be removed once i get it mostly sheathed and roofed.
edit: i ended up doing more handtool work on the old outside rafter so i could butt the front wall up to original studs, used brace with a spade bit to get majority of notch cut out and a chisel to clean it out. I also had to plane down the floor beams to knock out the high spots.
included pics of original building construction
-- Justin - the tugboat woodworker - " nothing changed me like the first shnick from a well sharpened, decent hand plane"