|Project by JeremyMorgan||posted 04-10-2013 04:40 AM||2090 views||7 times favorited||11 comments|
This was a very enjoyable project throughout the entire process from design to construction. I really appreciated all the feedback and suggestions that I received from the folks here. I have been intrigued with Greene and Greene style pieces for awhile and this was a great piece to try some of their design elements.
The case and door frames are made from Mahogany while the door panels are ambrosia maple. I re-sawed the panels before I ended up buying a band saw so I lost quite a bit of material to the kerf. This gives the book-matched panels a bit more character. The back panel is actually spalted maple plywood left over from another project.
Joinery for the case is simple finger joints. These were easy to cut and look great on this project I think. The door frames are mortise and tenon. I cut the mortises by drilling out most of the waste and chopping them square with a mortiser chisel in a handle that I picked up at Rockler. This worked pretty well though I think I need to get a honing cone as the chisels are not as sharp as I would like.
I have more pictures and details on the build on my blog. http://lifeonwallst.blogspot.com/2013/04/it-sure-feels-nice-to-finish-project.html
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback during the design process.
-- Jeremy Morgan, CO Front Range, http://lifeonwallst.blogspot.com/