|Project by Olaf Gradin||posted 04-10-2013 03:31 AM||1841 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
I spent far too long on this project, but only because I dreaded rushing it!
The drum shell is turned Cherry (stave-construction). Like my other project like this, I didn’t build the shell – they come from a buddy of mine that has the process down to smooth workflow. I put about 16 hours into the designing and burning of the shell. I stopped worrying about the time when I was applying gold leaf and finishing it. It has about 6 light coats of poly that built into a nice gloss. If I did another one like this, I’d have applied the poly up to the last one or two coats before doing the gold leaf. For one, the glue wouldn’t be absorbed so readily by the wood, and for another, the leaf would retain more shean without as much poly covering it. You have to cover it, however, as the leaf is very easy to scratch from the surface.
-- It takes a viking to raze a village. &mdash Blog'r: http://www.gradin.com