|Project by GaryL||posted 04-08-2013 at 03:18 PM||873 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
Finally talked the homeowner into letting me take her ugly doors and spruce them up a bit. They are about thirty-two years old. It was somewhat of a crapshoot with the doors being painted originally. I had sanded off a section to see if it was possible to bring these up to a stain grade. After stripping and getting the old garbage off (they don’t make a stripper that is worth a *%# anymore), mostly sanding it off, they were in decent condition. I ended up replacing the operating door stile on the lockset side do to being bored and drilled for a mortise style Baldwin lockset. She did not want to spring for new ones of that caliber (expensive) so everything was changed to modern tubular style locksets. Patched the other stile, new panel trim, lower raised panels, and seeded triple pane glass units. Finished with General Finishes 450 series stains and clear coat.
All in all, I was very happy how they turned out. I wasn’t expecting to be able to get a fir door, built to be painted not stained, to turn out as nice as it did. The homeowner loves it…that’s all that matters.
This is before I pulled them. For some reason I did not get a shot from outside. There was also some ugly orange wood storm doors that I removed.
In the shop ready to strip. The interior.
The weathered exterior.
This is the stile I replaced. After stripping I saw they had blew out the side when they had original bored for the mortise lockset. They finalized that decision for major surgery.
The new limb/stile ready for the transplant.
-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.