|Project by jmp||posted 04-08-2013 06:13 PM||1013 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
I had some american walnut offcuts hanging around so I decided to make a small side table. I followed a set of Maloof plans, scaled down to size. Originally the legs were going to be for a live edged table top but it didn’t quite work so I decided to make a walnut top instead. I had another offcut, a small piece of quite thick wood which I had struggled to find a use for. I cut this into small tiles and then glued them up into a herringbone pattern which looks very effective. The legs are finished with Maloof’s oil and varnish and oil and wax mixes, the top with wiping varnish.
This is my first attempt at sculpted table legs and would definitely recommend anyone who hasn’t tried this to have a go. I was very pleased with the result and an effective use of my spare wood.