|Project by BertFlores58||posted 04-08-2013 12:51 AM||1315 views||1 time favorited||16 comments|
This is the second box out of the same design – the four pointed star with optical illusion combined with rhombus. Here is the No. 1 link.. If you want to know how it was done…. just follow this link and the blogs associated with it.
The changes and improvements on this No. 2 are:
1. It is heavily constructed with 3/8 inch thick of boards used. The material, mostly Narra on its different blend and use of iron wood, ebony (kamagong) and many other hardwood make is so dense. The intention is to let the box hold those bottles (60 ml) height of 4 inches inside a protected box.
2. The use of the contoured joint on the box lid has added attraction however the difficulty had increased in making the base integrating a required elevated footage. How big is the challenge in facing these: Materials ran-out of black and white pieces. I have to look for some left-overs then cut them.
3. The legs (foot) has to be strong. This will center the lid as soon as it slides in. The tapering point of the leg is so difficult to reinforce. I have to make a dowel on both sides so it will interlace with each other. Plus the support underneath for proper erectness. The legs (feet) is a special Philippine wood specie BALAYONG a strong kind of wood that blends with Narra.
5. The big board cut with a portable router in mitering is quite difficult. I made a mistake on one end by overcutting and some on the portion on the middle is undercut. Mitering method of Martyn (Britboxmaker) is really an excellent way in doing this type of box. Thanks Martyn.
6. The new method of finishing been used here… gloss lacquer then Spar varnish using only artist brush. Thinning for Spar varnish is paint thinner. Ensure that gloss lacquer is completely dry. Do not reverse the process because lacquer will melt the spar varnish.
This project is dedicated to those who appreciate illusions of stars…
Thanks for viewing.
Have a nice day.