|Project by Tomoose||posted 04-07-2013 10:53 PM||3142 views||13 times favorited||8 comments|
Nightstand project based on plans from Woodcraft. The plans called for the carcass to be maple and the top cherry, but I swapped them around because my maple had nice figure and I had a couple pieces of cherry thick enough to make the legs without having to do a glue-up. The plans call for biscuit joinery and that’s what I used. The plans called for drawer-lock joints for the drawer box, but I don’t have any bits like that, so I made up a box-joint jig and made my drawer that way – kind of “faker” dovetails. Finish is two coats of Danish Oil, 3 coats of spray satin poly, smoothed out with 600 grit, and then 2 coats of paste wax. The top is the smoothest finish I have ever gotten and the figure really pops from certain angles. Oh, and the drawer handle is a scrap of purpleheart just shaped with a 1/2” roundover bit on the router table.
Couple of “firsts” on this project – first piece of furniture with a drawer I have made. The other first is probably a “last” as well – the plans called for 3/4 maple (cherry in my case) ply but I didn’t have easy access to any. My solution was to use some 1/2 birch ply and veneer 1/8 cherry on each side to get to my 3/4 dimension. I had never re-sawn any wood before, nor did I have any experience veneering before. If we learn from our mistakes, then this project was like an encyclopedia!
The benefit of having 1/8” solid wood veneer is obviously you would have to try pretty hard to sand through the veneer.The downside is it took longer to make my own plywood than the whole project should have taken. In any case, the project turned out as good as I could have hoped, and I am quite happy with it. I guess now I need to make its mate for the other side of the bed, and then maybe on to a couple matching chests of drawers…
Comments, good, bad, whatever, are welcome as usual.
Thanks for looking!
-- “I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” Pablo Picasso