|Project by BertFlores58||posted 04-07-2013 03:13 PM||2520 views||8 times favorited||18 comments|
We normally see tumbling blocks using 60/60 degrees. It produces isometric with xyz axes equilateral to 120 degrees. On my curiosity, by accident as I was only making a square with shadow, the form becomes a 3D however it becomes a perspective of a block… making variation measuring 90/45. Amazingly, the illusion becomes a rhombus effect on the squares. I used this design to form a mitered box with a lid.
The main board…
The bottom board….
1) The squares on the top has to join symetrically on the sides. This is the reason why the shadow strips of Narra and white Lauan were omitted making the motif as checkers for the front and back sides.
2) Wooden hinge was fitted in the back overlayed because I don’t like to destroy the design.
3) Latches in front were fitted. These are made from iron wood (Dungon) a very hard Philippine specie. The only setback is it burns when drilling and sanding with dremel. Most of the time, I use saw and files.
4) Instead of plain wood on the bottom, I use the segmented checkered I recovered from Narra small pieces left over. I should say that from a scrap, I recycled and from a recycled scraps I was able to recover again.
5) The finish is really nice using only an artist brush. The first coat was gloss lacquer (this is to seal and avoid discolorization of the wood) then two coats of spar varnish.
6) Materials: NARRA, White Lauan, Acacia, Balitadtad, Dungon, Kamagong and many others that I could not identify. The worst wood combination I made as everything from soft to hardwood are there. Some portion of the joints are absorbing a lot of glue so I have to apply two coats of glue specially to the end grain otherwise it will come off as it dries by absorption.
In this box, I learned how to recover from the mistakes I had made. Here are some of those.
1. Dowel drilling is too much. You can see these on the lid where I drilled the dowel on the hinges.
2. The latches been different locking pins… Likewise oversized. I should have pre-fitted it but I fixed it already before knowing the error so it was machined in place. In doing so, the hinge broke as I opened lid too much.
3. Cutting the miter was too much (too deep) in some places as the board is not planed equally.
4. Lippings must be prepared exact thickness with the board. I have to route the inside portion of the lippings to make it more even. An extra work that should have been prevented by just preparing the thickness.
I am happy for having so many errors because I learned from it. With this box, I learned that any mistakes can still be corrected as long as there are no shortage of patience.
If you wish to look on the progress how it was done, just open my blog and look for those tumbling variations title. I was not able to make it on series. Thanks for viewing.
This is an experimental one but there are a lot of people who wants this style of hinges and latches.
Hope you like this box.
Have a nice day.