|Project by Patricelejeune||posted 04-03-2013 01:20 AM||3637 views||16 times favorited||31 comments|
In 2009 Patrick Edwards and I were commissioned to adapt and recreate a table kept ath the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Our clients liked the top but not the base of the original, staying true to the period designs we created a different base.
On that project Patrick Edwards did the top marquetry using the piece by piece technique. The multiple wood marquetry was inlaid in a bees wing satinwood.
I did the rosettes and dots for the top cut using a mix a stack cutting (boulle) and piece by piece for the inside flower and “cross”, and tarsia certosina, inlay with a punch. Those are made out of rosewood maple and pear. The rosettes were a challenge as the rosewood was prepared first as a small sunburst making the all inside ring cross grain, and I had to cut really straight lines.
I also did the furniture making, joinery with hand tools on beech wood, and the marquetry for the base of the tables. I used piece by piece for the drawers scroll using a dyed tabac maple. The rose bud on the side were cut piece by piece and inserted in a stack cut background. The challenge was to create and regular oval with an even tabac inlay.
For the rose bud, I drew it bigger for more precision and reduced afterward to the right dimension. You may notice that I drew this in March 209, a very long time ago :)
The background is assembled.
The pack is carefully put together so the corner will line up “perfectly”. It is a stack cut pack with for each of the prepared background there is a layer of tabac for the string inlay and a layer of boxwood, the actual background for the rosebud.
The background as been cut using stack cutting but the rosebud pieces where cut piece by piece, so it is more precise, less gap, and I can cut in 8 layers. Sand shaded it is put together, ready to glue on.
Here are the table finally in their home
-- Patrice lejeune