|Project by Craftsman on the lake||posted 04-02-2013 06:23 PM||1552 views||4 times favorited||9 comments|
I’ve been blogging the build for this bench. Its function is as a bench seat in our bedroom to sit on to dress and to store seasonal clothes as our storage space is minimal and at a premium in our house so we need to rethink all possibilities. i.e. This was simply going to be a bench. But after rethinking it I decided it could serve two functions.
The size is approximately 50” long by 20” deep by 24” high. More chair hight and depth than typical bench dimensions. The entire bench is made of cherry with a birch plywood floor. It has 5 raised panels with ogee contours on the back and front, and a single raised panel on the sides. The skirt and cover edge are cove and the crown at the top is a hand shaped ‘horn’. I was going to put a straight crown on it but tried carving the horn and it came out good so voila, it’s on.
The finish is four coats, brushed on, of waterlox which is an expensive mix of tongue oil varnishes and paraffin found at Woodcraft. I had half a quart left over after sealing a bathroom countertop with it. I was going to spray a coat of poly on it but decided it didn’t need it.
I used four simple chest hinges. They have long tongues on the cover part and they hook over the 3/4” side and they have 7 screws per hinge. I’ve got to get a small brass chain to keep the lid from going more than 90 degrees. I kept the mechanism simple for two reasons. One, other hardware for chests is very expensive and two we will be opening this chest very infrequently. The hinges are in the front to make the chest open from the back. Opening from the front would have necessitated pulling it away from the wall with that crown sticking up.
Overall this was a good build. A little frustrating at times trying to get all the pieces to fit together just right. With raised panels and rails and stiles, the more of them you have the more joints and the more care is needed. If a couple of joints are off a little the rest just won’t fit right. On the front side alone there are thirteen parts.
My niece had a nice piece of appohlsery fabric. I’ll get a 1” thick piece of foam and have my sister sew up a cushion to fit in the area inside the crown on the lid. It’s a little browner and redder than the picture shows. It looks really nice anyway. I don’t think I could have picked up anything better.
The bench is finally complete with the addition of the pad
-- The smell of wood, coffee in the cup, the wife let's me do my thing, the lake is peaceful.