|Project by Echofive||posted 03-29-2013 02:55 PM||907 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
I could have bought similar items for less than $20, but as woodworkers, it’s rarely about the price, right? These caster cups are to prevent the casters on a piano from denting or damaging the floor. They are made from maple. If I had a lathe, this project would have been a snap, but without the lathe it took some figuring. I was able to find a crown moulding cove bit from MLCS. I used the bit in my plunge router. I quickly learned that even carbide tipped bits don’t like being plunged into maple, as I ruined several pieces before I was able to get 6 that worked. I then cut them down on the bandsaw, and shaped on a table sander. 3/8” roundover on the router table, where I had to build a jig to do a circular piece. In a few of the pictures, you’ll see the burn marks on the edge from the router. Yes those were sanded out. The finish was a nice experiment. 2 coats of Boiled linseed oil, 5 coats of shellac wiped on within about 90 minutes. After 24 hours, I wet sanded them with 600 grit and soapy water. Next was 3 coats of semi-glass poly, #0000 steel wool in between. I waited 3 days, then rubbed them with paste wax and a brown paper bag, and repeated with an old tshirt. Since I used semi-gloss, I wasn’t getting quite the sheen I wanted, so I turned to a buffing pad in my drill and some automotive polishing compound, which did the trick. Some black adhesive backed felt cut to size finished the bottom of the cups to further protect the floor.
-- Chip, Virginia