|Project by BalloonGuy||posted 03-29-2013 03:21 AM||956 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
Our UU church designed a new logo this year, and I decided to render it in wood. I’d envisioned this as a “free-standing” sculpture to be mounted without a backer board against the front of the pulpit. After the fog cleared, I realized that the walnut was the same tone as the pulpit’s front, and the lack of contrast was a problem.
Anyway, here’s the first go-round. The main body is walnut. The intersecting “crossroads” are red oak. The flames are (bottom to top) yellowheart, cherry (2) and padauk. Finish is danish oil – no stain on any of it. The flames are joined with 1/4” wide .100” thick brass bar set mortised into the backs. As shown here, it’s just resting on top of a slate tile (a coffee table I built last winter – will have to post photos of that project sometime). Size is about 10” tall and about 6” wide.
Since this was taken, I’ve added an oval background to it, from bookmatched slices of bird’s-eye maple. Will add a photo or two of the finished installation as we put it in place just today.
-- Tom Peterson, Omaha, NE