|Project by JL7||posted 03-28-2013 01:29 AM||4650 views||12 times favorited||29 comments|
These pieces have been in the shop too long…............
It’s the first part of my living room remodel. I will eventually post some pictures when they are in place, but I have more stuff to build first…...
Here are the basic rules I made up as I went:
- No mechanical fasteners…..
- Some common inlays (non maple) ok…
- All materials either reclaimed, cut-offs or rough beyond standard cabinet grade…..
- Different joinery acceptable
- No plywood…
There is a mix of soft and hard maple, some curly, some ex-bowling alley lane.
Pic 6 above is without finish.
All finish is Maloof that I mixed here – all surfaces have 6-8 coats but learned a lot in the process….
A couple of build specs:
End Tables and Entry Bench:
- Basically all box joints, including the drawers made from glued up parts, not cut joints.
- End tables are dual sided so drawers slide both ways.
- Raw earth magnets locate the drawer in the home position.
- Sliding pencil tray in drawers…looking for some function here..
- Spring loaded bookends for the end tables….
- Top is reclaimed bowling alley lane, except the 2 long outside parts, which are curly pieces added to cover nail holes.
- Pegged mortise and tenon legs
- Curly maple X-Frame stretcher with optional removable shelf – time will tell which design prevails…
- All horizontal surfaces are bowling lane….
- All joints (except for the the removable top shelf) are sliding dovetails….
- The top (removable) shelf will hold the TV with the Center Speaker under….
- Curly maple edging to cover the bowling lane nail holes…
- Spring loaded bookends for the lower shelf…
- Back panels are thin maple panels with half laps that slide in from the sides and are adjustable later…..
- Extended shelf in front will hold the Onkyo receiver…...
- The goofy little stand (to the left) will hold cable box and DVD player….
Sorry for the long post…...If you made it this far….thanks for looking, and more to come. Looking forward to making more sawdust soon!