|Project by shipwright||posted 03-27-2013 12:46 AM||2360 views||2 times favorited||37 comments|
This is my second attempt at the “fusion” technique. It stems from two sources. The first is that all marqueteurs, at least those working with thin modern veneer, eventually sand through their motif and ruin it. I’ve done that enough times and always thought it would be fun to see how it would work out if it was done on purpose. Then I discovered that Patrice Lejeune had already turned it into an art form. Soooo… I had to give it a try. The first attempt was in one of the seagulls that I posted previously….... didn’t like it much but it was a learning experience.
This one I like better.
The photos show:
1) The original photo from Google
2) The piece of movingui veneer that inspired the tiger in the first place. You can almost see the whole face right there in the figure and grain.
3) Work in progress. The holly has been applied and eroded away and the dyed black has been added.
4) Almost finished motif … I did change the pupil of the eye a bit.
The lead photo shows the finished piece mounted on a plywood substrate built up to 1 1/4” thick and veneered all sides and top with mahogany around a dyed black veneer accent frame.
It’s always a good day when you experiment with something new and it works out. This isn’t quite a destination yet but it’s a lot further down the road than the last one.
Thanks for looking in.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/