|Project by FJPetruso||posted 03-24-2013 11:35 PM||2193 views||6 times favorited||3 comments|
A while back a friend came by with a long piece of 8/4 quarter sawn oak. I made an Arts & Crafts style mantle clock with brackets from this wood for his new fireplace. He said I could have the left over 18” long piece of oak to make something for myself. This chunk of wood sat on my short cuts shelf for quite a while when my mother-in-law asked for a clock to replace an old broken clock that was on her end table. While searching for Asian styled clock designs I bumped into a nice photo of an Arts & Crafts clock & saved the photo for this clock. (And of course, the mother-in-law’s clock was done first. I’ll post that later.)
The piece of oak was long enough to make two mantle clocks including the top pieces. The faces of the wood were already planed smooth so I cut the wood to width & trimmed the best center portion to the length of the body of one clock X 2 + 1/8” for the saw blade kerf. I then laid out the hole for the Woodcraft clockworks, the angles for the sides, the decorative square peg holes & scribe lines exactly in the middle of the length of the board for the both the clocks feet. I used a forstner bit to drill two holes on this line & then went to the saw & cross cut the board right down the center of the line separating both clocks. Then I drilled the clock works holes with a large forstner bit & used my band saw to join the two previously drilled holes which made the “feet”. I drilled three 3/8” holes for the pegs & finished off the angle of the body of the clocks with my band saw & sanded the sides smooth with a belt sander.
The clock tops were made from the ripped off cuts with a 45 degree bevel on three sides. Then the tops were joined to the bodies with two #10 biscuits placed in parallel. When cutting the tops to size I calculated in a 1/4” reveal on the back side & placed the biscuits accordingly.
For the pegs I used some scrap Black Walnut. I cut the walnut into 1/2” square dowels & then turned to my lathe. I chucked up the dowels & about 3/8” from the end I turned short a 3/8” tenon. Now I went to the disc sander set the miter gauge with approximately an 80 degree angle & sanded little pyramids on the tips of the dowels leaving about a 1/16” tall square “base” on the pegs then sliced the pegs off with the band saw. The exposed end grain of the pegs really soaked up some left over dark stain & they came out really dark like needed.
Then came the sanding & the gluing of the tops & pegs and the finishing. All that was left was to press fit the clockworks into the finished assembly.
-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"