|Project by jerrells||posted 03-20-2013 04:38 PM||2963 views||8 times favorited||6 comments|
After using a scroll saw for about three years and having lots of “I wish” ideas built up I used a vibration issue to make most of them happen. My DeWalt starting vibrating more than I thought it should. So I quickly turned to Rich Hutchenson’s web-site and found information from him and also posted, information from Ron Brown. Well generally is was disassembly time, check and lubricate all connections and joints. and then “O YES” reassembly.
The main picture shows the saw in it’s current condition as of today. NO more vibration out of norm AND O YES a few of those “I WISH” items added.
First of all I use a surge protector as the main on/off control for everything on the saw. I was positioned where I had to stand a reach to use it. No more. The picture below shows it repositioned higher and at a 45 degree angle that I can reach from my stool
Next, I wanted better control and mobility with the saw. As I have posted before, I purchased on old cabinet and refitted it to serve as my base. Now I have added corner rollers from Rockler and widen the base. Much better control.
Having already had sinus issue this spring I said it was time to install a dust collection system. I researched Lumberjocks, the web, blogs and anywhere I could find information. Most everything told me to come up with a good idea and it may need modification later. What I came up with was using some 1 inch PVC pipe with various fittings. The tee is where I plug in the hose from my buckethead vac. Under the table I used a wide nozzle fitting from my larger shop vac. Can’t really see in the picture but I had to chop off on corner of the end of the fitting so it would clear under the table. On the back of the manifold I put a threaded connection for a piece of clear flex hose that runs over the saw to the top of the table. The system works fine in initial test but I sure there will be a few changes.
Now the last, and perhaps overkill, was the light and fan mounting arm. When I had the saw stationed against the wall I had the system mounted on the wall and a little higher. Now with summer coming on I decided to try it mounted on the saw. Not real sure how it will work or how useful it will be but we will see. If it stays it will need a stiff leg to make the upright more sturdy.
Thanks for looking – now I need to get back to doing some fret cutting.
-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.