|Project by Shopsmithtom||posted 03-18-2013 at 04:58 PM||1048 views||1 time favorited||13 comments|
414 days ago I posted a question about cradles here & was about to set out on a journey to build one for an anticipated grandchild. The situation changed for a while, but is now back on track, so I finally got it finished.
As part of my search I noted that at least one (& maybe a couple) LJ’s had used a set of plans from here:
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/store/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=19_W2761 I was planning on designing my own cradle but I wanted a starting point to use for dimensions & basic structure.
I will say that the plans are full size & nicely drawn & very useful in getting me to a finished product, so I do recommend them.
The only negative I came across was that they are for a cradle that uses (as they say) a standard 17×34 inch bassinet pad. While this size is out there, the 18×36” size is much more common. Not a deal breaker though, I simply added 1” to the width & 2” to the length of all appropriate components.
As to the cradle itself, I preferred a more closed look to the ends that the plans showed, so I went with a frame & panel end construction. I used ash from a tree that went down on our property & cherry from a nearby farm.
The plans showed the sides as vertical & I liked the look of having it wider at the top, so I flared out the sides a bit. Also, I like a more substantial look than the plan shown spindles provided, so I used 3/4” x 1 1/2” ash with a slight routed round over at the corners. They are set into the side rails with loose tenons. I used wider ash at the ends because I prefer more strength than screwing the cradle ends to the side rail end grain provides, so I added 2 screws into them.
I used the recommended glider parts even though I debated insetting bearings into wood pieces. I opted for simplicity since they don’t show all that much. I inset a brass medallion with made by & made for info on it.
The only complication I had was that I needed to transport it from Wisconsin to South Carolina in the family sedan, so I had to do final assembly of it after arrival, so I took along screws, plugs, glue, sanding stuff & finishing materials.
It’s finished with several coats of original Waterlox. I’d never used it before & picked up several gallons at a close out store, unopened, at $10. per gallon. When I saw how much it retails for, I bought all 4 gallons that they had. After using it, it’s my new favorite finish.
Wow, it’s good to be back at it.
-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you