|Project by Wally331||posted 03-16-2013 02:03 AM||1599 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
When my brother moved off to college, he took his bed with him. So we were left with two choices- buy a new one, or have me make one- always looking for a project I chose the second option.
I looked around online for quite awhile, always returning to the design on woodgears.ca. After I made my homemade bandsaw, I figured the bed would be no problem.
Soon after I found myself in the lumberyard selecting the maple- about 150$ in materials. Most of it I had them leave rough sawn, then thicknessed and surfaced with my newly acquired no. 5, no. 6, and no. 4. I really had a good time surfacing all the lumber, as tiring as it was. I had a pile of shavings past my knees when I was done!
With all the parts the right thickness, I hand-ripped all laminations for the legs- about 8 ~30 inch rip cuts, what a pain. Glued and planed smooth, I turned the posts on a lathe borrowed from a friend, my first ever turnings. Their not perfect, but I’m plenty happy. After that I sawed out the head board, routed the groove and cut the panels. The joints are assembled with half inch dowels and plenty of glue. It was really a joy to use my new auger bits to drill the holes for the dowels, surprisingly accurate.
I finished the bed with 4 coats of ZAR oil based poly- followed up by steel wool and a bit of wet sanding followed by wax. Overall I was pretty happy with the project, it was my first real piece of furniture, and as a 16 year old kid, hopefully the first of many. Sorry for the huge text block- thanks for looking!
P.S. The bed is queen sized by the way, and quite comfy!