|Project by PASs||posted 03-13-2013 05:29 AM||1591 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
I had a contract to build a shipping crate for the Long Range Lineup System off the USS Enterprise (CVN-65).
When I arrived on site I found that part of the system had already been shipped so they didn’t need as large a crate as originally requested. So I did a quick (about 10 minute) SketchUp redesign. Included in the redesign was a shift to do a zero-loss build. Zero-loss is using as much of the lumber as possible so there is a little cut-off as possible. In this case it was easy as the crate went from 8 feet long to 4 feet. So I raised the sides from 40 to 48 inches. I ended up with not enough scrap to fill the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.
The crate is nailed together except for the top and front which are screwed together with square-drive screws.
I put the top and front on with just a few screws, mark the edges where the remaining screws should go, and put the remaining screws in a ziploc fastened to the inside frame.
On site time was 0705.
Off site at 1250.
Actual build time for the crate was 87 minutes including the time to redesign, cut, and assemble.
Part of the extra time was measuring for an additional 9 crates, and waiting for the rain to stop so I could reload the truck.
9 – #2 SYP 2×4s 8 feet long
3 – #2 SYP 4×4s 8 feet long
2 1/2 sheets 1/2 inch CDX plywood.
I was hoping to give the new sawhorses a workout, but did very little work on them, mostly just cutting the plywood.
-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."