|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 03-11-2013 at 10:50 AM||1706 views||1 time favorited||15 comments|
I was asked if I could repair this swing for Dennis and thought I’d give it a go. It was made from 7/8” red oak. You can not find any thick oak here in Casa Grande, so I settled on 1/2” and 3/4” stock from the Depot. The problem was that the members were split out at the ends and one of them had a poor pine patch over it with a bunch of screws through it. That end had to be cut shorter to get rid of all the bad wood.
I made a new back bar by laminating two 1/2” pieces and making it 2” longer for a thicker bar and much more wood on the ends.
The arms were a little more work. I made a template of the shape and then cut off the ends and routed them down to 1/2”. Then I laminated two pieces of 3/4” stock over them to cut to the shape of the original . These had to be routed down 1/4” so they fit flush when glued on the center section. I added 2 – 3/8” dowels for insurance. I cut the ends longer so they were larger in each dimension for added strength on the ends.
Thank God for that HF 90 degree drill for transferring the mounting holes to the arms!!!!!!!!!
When I bolted them together, I used washers on top and bottom so the pressure was straight down on the wood. I think part of the problem was the eye bolts were forcing the wood apart by having the ring end drawn into the holes. I added lock nuts to keep them from coming loose with the movement.
The last shot shows Dennis on his swing! He is “back in the saddle again” as they say out here!!!!!!!!!!
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!