|Project by Doug||posted 03-09-2013 10:46 AM||1767 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
I made this first box rom maple. I had orginally seen this box ina magazine i believe it was Woodworkers Journal. I took the liberty of changing some of the contruction. Originally the designed called for top and bottom pieces to be assembled into dadoes on the side pieces. I thought it would be nice to make this into a dovetail joint. After having to alter the size a bit to fit the wood I had on hand, and making the tambour(which in itself was frustrating enough), I found out why the original design called for dadoes rather than dovetails. Trying tro assemble all the parts at once was like going through a mine field! I than decided to rip the bottom, crosscut the two pins off and glue those onto the sides. Now I could easily assemble the door by sliding it up through the bottom. The handle does keep the tambour door from falling out the bottom. After a linseed oil/shellac finish.. I am making another winebox still going to keep the dovetails but use oak and walnut.
I was not able to relocate the web site for this project however I still have a printed copy I made and would gladly forward it to you via e -mail.
It was another learning project for me and really challenging to change the design to make it to my liking.
-- Doug, Long Island, Winterwood