|Project by robscastle||posted 03-07-2013 02:21 AM||1063 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
This project is a direct result of being bored with the constant rain.
Apart from that I wanted to see if my compound saw could do repeatable cuts with enough accuracy for a box builders eye.
The inserts were measured and drilled out with a forstner bit then cut in half
The box frame was some pieces of pine, the inserts the same material and the top and bottom MDF
The usual process for making a box was followed.
I made everything dry fitted it up then glued everything together, let it set then sawed it open, fitted an old piano hinge and suitcase catch and then put everthing in.
It looked a bit bland so,
The top gets a makeover!.
The 3mm MDF top was then enhanced by adding some beading, this was some I made on my spindle shaper some time ago and was “just lying around” not being satisfied with wasting enough time on it yet I then decided to break out my “craft’ stuff and silver and gold coat the beading using “Rub & Buff” and then Indian inked the frame.
I then applied clear sanding sealer to everything, not being content with that I then sprayed clear polyurethane over it again.
Oh and just in case my kids find it when they are cleaning out all my “crap” after I am gone I left a note for them!
Enjoy… and relate maybe.
-- Regards Robert